Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Nigeria 'open to talks with Boko Haram'

08 March 2012, 08:35

Nigeria - Nigeria is open to eventual dialogue with resurgent Islamist group Boko Haram, which has been blamed on numerous violent attacks, the information minister said on Wednesday.

Labaran Maku said the government was appalled by Boko Haram's methods, which he called "pure terror", but said dialogue was important.

"If there is an opportunity to speak, if there are elements for example in this terror group that now see the need to renounce violence and engage in dialogue, [the] government has never been averse," Maku said.

Boko Haram was formed in 2004 and initially claimed to be fighting for the creation of an Islamic state in Nigeria's mainly Muslim north, but since then demands have varied.

The group was blamed for an increasing number of attacks in 2010 that saw a series of assassinations. Bomb blasts, including suicide attacks, have since become almost daily occurrences and are increasingly deadly.

In September, President Goodluck Jonathan, recommended dialogue with the group on condition it laid down its arms. Boko Haram declined.

Jonathan in January said Boko Haram should clarify its demands for an eventual dialogue, though that request was again rejected.

The sect has over the past two and a half years targeted mostly the police and other symbols of authority in Africa's most populous nation and recently added churches on its list of targets.

Although its specific aims remain unclear, violence by the sect since mid-2009 has claimed more than 1 000 lives, including more than 300 this year alone, according to AFP and rights groups.

-AFP

Join in the conversation on News24 Kenya’s Facebook page.

Get the latest news by following us on Twitter


- AFP

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
1 comment
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Police officer shot in a gunfire ...

A police officer based at the Urban Police station in Mombasa was on Friday night seriously injured in a shoot out within Kizingo area in Mombasa. Read more...

Submitted by
Mbugua Marc
Jubilee Women's league defends Uh...

Jubilee Parliamentary Women's Group has lashed at CORD Coalition for personalizing the Ministry of Health scam and viciously attacking the ‘First family’. Read more...

Submitted by
Mbugua Marc
Elderly man gored to death by str...

A 70-year old man has been gored to death by a buffalo in Kongoni area of Naivasha while on his way home. Read more...

Jubilee women legislators slam at...

Eight Jubilee Legislators have now asked Cord leader Raila Odinga to stop politicizing the 5 billion shillings in the Ministry of health scandal.  Read more...

Submitted by
Vincent Munga
Young professionals to make Kenya...

A group of young professionals affiliated to the Jubilee government have called upon Kenyans to not only look on negative side of the government but also loud good projects that has been done over a little period of time. Read more...

Election operation plan in place,...

Outgoing Independent IEBC have established an election operation plan 2017 in a bid to ensure that there is free and fair elections in the upcoming general elections. Read more...