Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Troops must stay in CAR, UN says

25 January 2013, 11:17

New York - Foreign troops must stay in the strife-torn Central African Republic to stop it from turning into another Mali-style crisis, a top UN envoy said on Thursday.

Margaret Vogt, the United Nations special envoy in the country where rebels control about half the territory, said troops - provided by neighbouring nations, South Africa and France - had become a "firewall" against the spread of insecurity.

With rebels reported to have taken new towns in spite of a ceasefire, Vogt warned "this place can easily become another Mali", where French forces have intervened to halt an Islamist advance on the capital.

The foreign troops must help "to create a firewall in the CAR to prevent the trends we see from the Sahel from coming through here", Vogt told reporters.

Countries from the Economic Community of Central African States (ECCAS) hurriedly sent troops to the Central African Republic this month as rebels bore down on the capital Bangui having taken large parts of the country.

A ceasefire accord between President Francois Bozize and the Seleka coalition rebels was signed in Libreville on January 11. While a national unity government has been formed, rebel forces have failed to start a promised withdrawal from the streets of the towns they control.

Vogt told reporters via video link from Bangui that security remains tense, with UN premises ransacked in four towns and other international organisations also looted.

UN agencies have said the rebels are using child soldiers and have entered two new eastern towns, Dimbi and Kembe, since the ceasefire.

The Seleka rebels, opponents of Bozize who accuse him of failing to carry out an earlier peace accord, remain 75km from the capital.

Vogt said "the international community now needs to engage more forcefully, both diplomatically and financially, to pull the CAR from the brink."

"The position of the CAR is strategic," Vogt said.

"Whatever happens in the CAR will have an impact on all the countries in the region," added the UN envoy. The African governments who sent troops know "the situation can also undermine the security of their own countries."

- AFP

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Tunisia mulls women soldiers

27 May 2016, 07:59

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Manasseh
Granny, infant perish in fire at ...

Her house had been locked from outside and so neighbours were unable to help them. Read more...

Submitted by
Scoop Desk
Uhuru Kenyatta no longer has powe...

The judges agreed only one name for the CJ post and one for a deputy should be forwarded to the President for the appointment. Read more...

Submitted by
William Korir
Kidero to snub CORD's parallel Ma...

Nairobi Governor Evans Kidero will snub the CORD Coalition's parallel Madaraka Day celebrations, it has emerged. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Late night phone-call that stoppe...

Details have emerged of a long phone-call between CORD leaders who eventually led to the end of the IEBC protests. Read more...

Submitted by
Victor Tinto
Sonko not fit to be Governor, Jub...

Nairobi Senator Mike Mbuvi Sonko should stay put as Senator and not ascend to Governor, an MP has said. Read more...

Submitted by
Samuel Arap Yego
Government to address teacher sho...

The government has started addressing the problem of acute shortage of teachers in North Eastern region of the country. Read more...