Unregistered children homes to be closed down
13 February 2013, 14:05
Unregistered children homes operating in Nakuru county have been put on notice by the County Children Director that they risked closure.
The Children Director in Nakuru County Sheikh Yusuf observed that some individuals were using the homes to swindle people off their money and enrich themselves.
While addressing a gathering on Tuesday in Nakuru, Sheikh said it was regrettable that some people had resorted to earning money at the expense of the orphaned children.
The director further said they have deployed people to go around the county in search of the rogue children homes which are operating illegally.
He also noted that cases of child abuse was on the rise in Nakuru.
He urged the public to play a collective role of protecting the young kids saying last year alone more than 200 cases of child sexual abuse were reported in Nakuru town alone.
Sheikh said the government was also working tirelessly towards ensuring that all children homes in the country were registered as required by the law.
He also asked the task owners and directors running the children homes not to misuse the funds they receive from the government and donors saying history will judge them harshly if they do so.
Disclaimer: All articles and letters published on MyNews24 have been independently written by members of News24's community. The views of users published on News24 are therefore their own and do not necessarily represent the views of News24. News24 editors also reserve the right to edit or delete any and all comments received.