Hello 

Create Profile

Creating your profile will enable you to submit photos and stories to get published on News24.


Please provide a username for your profile page:

This username must be unique, cannot be edited and will be used in the URL to your profile page across the entire 24.com network.

Facebook Sign-In

Hi News addict,

Join the News24 Community to be involved in breaking the news.

Log in with Facebook to comment and personalise news, weather and listings.

 

Google not expected to check every upload

01 March 2013, 13:43

Milan - Internet platforms like Google cannot be forced to filter every video uploaded by users without endangering freedom of thought and their own functionality, an Italian court ruling made public on Wednesday said.

The details of the ruling were made public 60 days after the Milan court acquitted three Google executives of charges of having violated the privacy of an Italian boy with autism by allowing a video, showing him being bullied, to be posted on the site in 2006.

The decision in December overturned a previous court ruling in 2010 which had sentenced the executives to a six-month suspended jail sentence, reigniting a debate about privacy over the internet.

"The possibility must be ruled out that a service provider, which offers active hosting can carry out effective, pre-emptive checks of the entire content uploaded by its users," the court said in the public ruling reviewed by Reuters.

"An obligation for the internet company to prevent the defamatory event would impose on the same company a pre-emptive filter on all the data uploaded on the network, which would alter its own functionality."

The case arose in 2006 when four students at a Turin school uploaded a mobile phone clip to Google Video showing them bullying the boy.

The prosecutors accused Google of negligence, saying the video remained online for two months even though some Web users had already posted comments asking for it to be taken down.

Google said it had removed the video immediately after being notified and co-operated with Italian authorities to help identify the bullies and bring them to justice.

Google has always maintained that, as hosting platforms that do not create their own content, Google Video, YouTube and Facebook cannot be held responsible for content that others upload.

- Reuters

NEXT ON NEWS24 KENYAX

Read News24’s Comments Policy

Comment on this story
0 comments
Comments have been closed for this article.

Read more from our Users

Submitted by
Gabriel Ngallah
Police officer shot in a gunfire ...

A police officer based at the Urban Police station in Mombasa was on Friday night seriously injured in a shoot out within Kizingo area in Mombasa. Read more...

Submitted by
Mbugua Marc
Jubilee Women's league defends Uh...

Jubilee Parliamentary Women's Group has lashed at CORD Coalition for personalizing the Ministry of Health scam and viciously attacking the ‘First family’. Read more...

Submitted by
Mbugua Marc
Elderly man gored to death by str...

A 70-year old man has been gored to death by a buffalo in Kongoni area of Naivasha while on his way home. Read more...

Jubilee women legislators slam at...

Eight Jubilee Legislators have now asked Cord leader Raila Odinga to stop politicizing the 5 billion shillings in the Ministry of health scandal.  Read more...

Submitted by
Vincent Munga
Young professionals to make Kenya...

A group of young professionals affiliated to the Jubilee government have called upon Kenyans to not only look on negative side of the government but also loud good projects that has been done over a little period of time. Read more...

Election operation plan in place,...

Outgoing Independent IEBC have established an election operation plan 2017 in a bid to ensure that there is free and fair elections in the upcoming general elections. Read more...